I am a seeker of balance of Mind, Body and Spirit. So what does this actually mean?
To me, in a nutshell, it means to feel an overall sense of wellness: healthy, happy and serene. When everything is in balance, I expect we would feel a sense of joy in every thing we do, we’d be pleasant to be around, we’d be treating ourselves and others with respect, and we’d have a beautiful sense of purpose about us.
Let’s break it down to each of the areas of Mind, Body and Spirit. Mind and Spirit in particular are often confused with the difference being a little unclear.
Good mental health = good emotional health. This is about controlling your thoughts, positive thinking, keeping the mind stimulated and self-awareness. To be able to quieten the mind whenever we wish is a great skill to have and goes a long way towards achieving good mind health. We as humans have what is sometimes called ‘monkey minds’ – lots of continual racing thoughts!
What helps achieve good mind health?
Mindfulness, Meditation, Yoga, Physical Activity, Positive Thinking, Self-Awareness (knowing and accepting who you are).
This is about looking after our body through good nutrition, physical activity, plenty of sleep, and living in a healthy environment.
What helps achieve good body health?
SPIRIT (or SOUL)
This is about nurturing ourselves to give us that feel good feeling. We need to listen to our spirit and give it what it needs – eg doing what you truly love to do. The aim is to feel fulfilled, calm and serene. We want to have a sense of purpose. We want to be excited about the start of each new day, and as humans we need to love and be loved.
What helps achieve good spirit health?
Discover and do what you truly love to do. Self-Care. Practice gratitude. Appreciate what you have rather than focusing on what on you don’t have. Get outdoors in nature!
There are lots of outside influences that can impact our ability to achieve balance of mind, body and spirit, such as:
- Love – not enough of it (receiving or giving), toxic relationships etc
- Fear – anxiety, comparisons, self-doubts
- Forgiveness – holding on to anger, hurt, disappointments
- Wisdom & intuition – listening to that inner voice even though it may sometimes not be what you want to hear
- Service to humanity/Paying it Forward – we are all here for a reason, we are all special and we all have something to offer to the world. In these modern times, we have been conditioned to expect that the more we receive the happier we will feel when in actual fact inner happiness comes from giving more, not taking more. Giving is actually receiving. When we give, we increase our sense of connection and feeling of oneness with all people and all things.
So there is a little snapshot into my way of thinking about how we might go about achieving balance of Mind, Body and Spirit. Have I achieved balance of Mind, Body and Spirit? No – which is why I say I am a ‘seeker’ of balance of Mind, Body and Spirit. I’ll be digging deeper and exploring the various ways and contributors to obtaining this balance in future blog posts.
Ciao for now,