One thing I have learnt about blogging over the last 2+ years that I’ve been doing it is that there is a thing called ‘blogging etiquette’. Blogging etiquette is something you pick up on very quickly once you immerse yourself in the blogosphere, and as a blogger it is important that you do because otherwise you could get yourself in a pickle, people might get the wrong impression of you, and you could end up getting a reputation you hadn’t bargained on!
If you want to make sure you’re up to speed on some blogging etiquette rules, here’s a great post that Robyn from ‘Mrs. D plus 3’ wrote in September: Bloggers Etiquette. 10 unspoken rules
I might be opening a can of worms here (and I’m feeling a bit nervous!), but one thing I haven’t seen discussed anywhere is any ‘rules’ about responding to comments on your own blog posts.
Before I go on, I want to make it clear that I have no one specific in mind as I write this post so I’m not talking about YOU ok! 😉 This post is based purely on general observations over the last couple of years and my own curiosity!
I have my own personal rule with regards to comments on my blog. Comments on my posts make me happy! Any blogger would know that quite a lot of time and thought goes into writing blog posts, selecting an image to go with them and all the little bits of work behind the scenes before you finally hit publish. It makes all that effort worthwhile knowing that your post is being read and someone has taken the time to engage and comment. I also want to make sure that anyone who comments on any of my blog posts know that I have read and appreciated his or her comment. So, I made a vow to myself way back when I first started blogging that I would always respond to each and every comment on my blog and for 2+ years I have kept that promise and will continue to do so. In the unlikely event that I suddenly become famous and find myself getting hundreds or thousands of comments on my posts then I may have to reevaluate!!
I must also say that I do like it when I comment on someone else’s blog post and they take the time to respond to my comment. Firstly, it validates that they have seen and read my comment. Secondly, it makes me feel that they appreciated the time and effort I took to read and comment on their post. And quite importantly for me, it creates engagement and conversation which all helps to build relationships and networks and find like-minded people. I like it! I do find that if I comment on someone’s blog and they continually don’t respond to my comments, I am less likely to comment there again because I feel unseen, unheard, and I start to feel that my comment wasn’t appreciated. In saying that, I am not always aware that my comment hasn’t been responded to. It’s the comments where I feel that I have invested time, thought and emotional energy into that matter the most to me I think. I might go back to those to see if there is a response and it can be disappointing if there is none.
But there are no hard and fast rules that I have seen documented anywhere on this subject, so I have been wondering what others might be thinking.
What are some comment responding behaviours I’ve noticed around the blogs and when do I think it might it be acceptable to not respond to comments on your blog posts?
- The majority of bloggers seem to respond to all comments on their blog posts! 🙂
- If you’re one of the ‘big’ bloggers and are getting hundreds (or thousands!) of comments on each of your blog posts then yes – I think it would be incredibly difficult to respond to each and every comment (and keep your sanity) so for some of them it’s likely a time management decision has been made to not respond to any.
- I must mention here that I have also seen some ‘big’ bloggers that DO still respond to all their comments and I take my hat off to them. They are amazing!!
- Some bloggers (big, medium and small) respond to ‘some’ but not all. But then how do you choose who are the lucky ones and not feel bad for not responding to the others?
- Some bloggers who are not one of those who get hundreds or thousands of comments on each blog post (so small or medium) are not responding to comments. I’m thinking that in these circumstances it’s likely to be a time management choice. Time is precious and you have to make personal choices on how you spend it. Perhaps their time is spent more on commenting on other people’s blogs and less on responding to comments on their own blog posts or perhaps they do their engaging on their blog’s Facebook page? For me – if someone engages with me on my blog’s Facebook page – I nearly fall off my chair!! 😉
Blogging is a time-consuming gig so I’m not judging here (I wouldn’t be silly enough to follow up THIS POST with a judgy post). I’m intrigued though at what the blogging community and anyone reading who is not a blogger might think. So let’s find out. Here’s some hard-hitting questions to ponder and I’d love to hear your thoughts! 😉
Do you think it is ok to not respond to comments on your blog posts? Are there some situations where it is ok and others where it is not? Do you think it is a personal choice for each and every blogger and completely separate to any general blogging etiquette rules or is there an unspoken blogging etiquette rule around this subject? Does it bother you if your comment on a blog post is not responded to? What are your thoughts generally on this subject?
Ciao for now,
*Linked up with Essentially Jess for #IBOT
*All images used in this post are hyperlinked to their original source.