Ahoy there! I have returned safely from my maiden sea voyage. Yes, my first ever cruise. It was an eight (8) day and eight (8) night South Pacific cruise on Royal Caribbean’s – Legend of the Seas. We stopped at two islands in Vanuatu – Port Vila, Efate and Mystery Island – and Lifou, New Caledonia.
I wasn’t sure if I’d like cruising so opted for a reasonably short first cruise. Why would I think I might not like cruising? Well, there were a few reasons but in a nutshell – I don’t like crowds and noise much, I need time alone to recharge, and I have a history of motion/travel sickness. I also wasn’t that fond of the concept of being trapped on a vessel with thousands of pot luck strangers.
We were incredibly lucky with perfect weather and only one day of slightly rough seas. I took my sea sickness pills and wore my dorky sea sickness wrist bands and I was AOK! Hooray! I actually enjoyed being rocked to sleep in bed every night. Land is so boring now! Is there a bed for adults that rocks? If not, I might invent one!
Ok, so what did I think of cruising? Well …. as I first boarded I was freaking out. SO.MANY.PEOPLE!! What have I done, I was thinking. Crowds! Noise! Give it a chance I told myself. People were still boarding, so of course it was crowded. So I did give a chance. I unpacked and I threw myself into exploring the ship and making the most of this experience. The end result – I loved it!!
My name is Min and I am a cruise convert!
- I found places where I could escape from crowds and noise. I needed this because I am an introvert who recharges by time alone and I am used to loads of time alone! I found a side deck with sun lounges where barely anyone goes. All you can hear is the ocean. Absolute bliss! One of my most favourite recharging places.
- I enjoyed all the live music so, so much! So many options. Entertainment galore! Fantastic!
- I loved not having to cook or clean.
- The staff were so happy and friendly and could not do enough for you.
- I loved having a show to go to every night.
- I enjoyed seeing the first movies I’ve seen in ages.
- I visited beautiful islands and learnt about other cultures.
- I made lots of new friends!
- I unpacked once and never had to worry about suitcases again until I left the ship.
- The atmosphere! I never counted on such a wonderful, happy atmosphere! Hats off to the crew, staff, performers, everyone who contributes to creating such a fabulous atmosphere, wonderful memories and a truly restful holiday experience.
Now I am home and I have the post cruise blues. Where is the menu? Why hasn’t my bed been made with fresh clean sheets? Who will pull it down for me at night? Why is the ground moving? How can there not be a show tonight?!! Why is there no pianist playing as I eat my dinner?
It goes to show that you never can tell if you would like something until you actually try it. With cruising you can do as much or as little as you like. You can be amongst the crowds and noise or you can seek out quiet places. You can even retreat to your state room (cabin) whenever you want. There is so much choice. There are so many options. Best of all – you unpack and then you are looked after and you can really relax and have a proper holiday.
This is a short post today as I only arrived home yesterday and have barely unpacked. My camera contains loads of photo’s which I haven’t yet uploaded to the computer. Also, unfortunately I have picked up a bit of a bug and am unwell. I have a ridiculously weak immune system! A bit of rest and I will be right as rain again.
I have loads more to share about my cruise experience in future posts and of course there will be heaps of photo’s to come. If you can’t wait till then – check out my Facebook page and/or my Instagram where I shared photo’s direct from the cruise ship!
I hope you have all been lovin’ life while I have been away! Have you ever tried something you thought you wouldn’t like and been pleasantly surprised?
Ciao for now,
Link up here at WOTM or with another of us in the Lovin’ Life Linky team:
Leanne of Deep Fried Fruit, Johanna of Lifestyle Fifty, Lyndall of Seize the Day Project,
Kathy of 50 Shades of Age, and Deb of Debbish
It doesn’t matter where you link up as it will magically appear on all six blogs