Image by Ogutier from Pixabay
LOLLIES! When I think back to my childhood it’s impossible to not think of lollies (if you’re in the USA I’m meaning ‘candy’ of course). It’s not that I constantly ate lollies, but I have some happy memories of the joy they brought to me when I did eat them! Here’s some memories that instantly come to mind:
- A sometimes treat when out and about with Mum (particularly after a doctor’s appointment but sometimes I got an ice-block instead – my favourites being a Hava Heart or Redskin Split)
- Ekka showbags – always chosen for best balance of lollies/chocolates/chips and toys such as YoYo’s etc!
- When we lived in Warwick we would occasionally be given 10-20cents and allowed to walk down the street to a corner shop to buy a bag of lollies. That particular shop’s specialty was hard boiled lollies and boy they were colourful and delicious!
- In high school we used to stop in at ‘Mrs Greer’s Corner Store’ and buy a bag of lollies on the way to the bus after school – yes a really decent sized bag for only 20 cents!
- Dad would sometimes bring us home some lollies from his trips away when he was doing ‘relief work’ (he worked for a bank).
So what kind of lollies am I talking about? Here’s some examples from back in the day – many of which you still see today and some you don’t.
Do you recognise some of those lollies? Bring back some memories? Tell me your memories in the comments. I love this kinda stuff! Oh and let me know what lollies I may have missed.
Ciao for now,