This post is Part 4 of a 10 part series that is an extension of this post I wrote on the subject of the importance of introducing some regular Digital Detox time in our lives. In that post I listed 10 Good Reasons to introduce regular Digital Detox time into our lives. Each week for 10 weeks I will expand a little on each of those 10 reasons listed. If you haven’t already, you might like to check out: Part 1 – De-Clutter Your Mind, Part 2 – Reconnect to the Present and Part 3 – Conduct a Self-Audit. This week we look at:
GET OUTDOORS IN NATURE!
There are so many reasons to get up out of your desk chair and get yourself some Digital Detox time outdoors in nature! It’s something we should really be doing every day! Here’s my Top 5 reasons to get outdoors in nature:
- YOUR VITAMIN D LEVELS WILL RISE – Sunlight on our skin elevates our Vitamin D levels. This vitamin is essential to help fight certain conditions, from osteoporosis and cancer to depression and heart attacks!
- YOU WILL GET SOME EXERCISE – We should all be trying to achieve a minimum of 10,000 steps per day. These are some of the health benefits you will achieve: weight loss; reduced risk of heart disease or stroke; fend off diabetes by improving the body’s ability to use insulin; walk away pain and stiffness from Arthritis; keep your bones strong which prevents Osteoporosis; sleep a whole lot better; build strength and stamina; enhance your mental functions; counteract anger, depression, and anxiety.
- YOU WILL ENHANCE YOUR MOOD – Research has proven that spending time outdoors in nature enhances our moods and lifts our spirits. Just looking at a beautiful scene in nature activates parts of the brain associated with balance and happiness! Spending time outdoors can help reduce the symptoms of depression! You will return home with a much improved outlook on life!
- YOU WILL BE BOOSTING YOUR IMMUNITY – Interesting fact: researchers at Tokyo’s Nippon Medical School found that women who spent six hours in the woods over the course of two days had an increase in virus- and tumor-fighting white blood cells, and the boost lasted at least seven days afterwards!
- YOU WILL HAVE A CLEARER HEAD – The combination of being out in the fresh air of nature and moving your body (walking, running, hiking or perhaps gardening) will result in clearer focus and ability to concentrate!
I found a really interesting book on this topic (added to my ‘to read’ list) called ‘Your Brain On Nature: The Science of Nature’s Influence on Your Health, Happiness and Vitality‘ by Eva M Selhub, MD. It contains some really good information on how to safely de-tox from IT overload with the healing effects of nature.
So what are you sitting there for? Go on, get yourself outside! I need to do more of this too!
Ciao for now,
p.s. The feature photograph for today’s post was taken in June 2014 of Baroon Lake, Montville – Queensland Australia.
Linking up with One Mother Hen for #OpenSlather