This post is part of a 14 ways to help rebuild self-confidence series. We are working our way through the letters of SELF CONFIDENCE with this week’s focus being on the second N in Confidence. Previously covered are Self Compassion & Self Care; 10 Ways to Enjoy your Life; Learning, Love & Laughter; Finding your passion & your happy place; Clear your schedule of activities that don’t serve you; Open-Minded – The way to go and the way to grow!; Neutralise Your Inner Critic & Self-Doubter; Face Your Fears, Imagine, Visualize and Believe, Define your goals, and Embrace Gratitude.
In life, business, and areas of passion or interest, if we isolate ourselves too much we can lose out on many possible opportunities and experiences. As an introvert, I can put my hand up in the air and admit that yes, I am guilty of isolating myself away a little bit too much at times. I love time by myself, but yet I do enjoy the company of others – occasionally! I like my social activities to be spaced out and not too much too often! Regardless, no matter what your area of work, interest or passion, it’s beneficial to network with other like minded people for many reasons. Here are just some possible benefits:
- Friendship – Many friendships are formed by networking! You are like-minded after all!
- Satisfaction from helping others – Networking allows for like-minded people to advise, listen, support and help each other where needed. It feels great to help someone out!
- Increased confidence – For many people, networking is pushing themselves outside of their comfort zone. You will be talking to people you don’t know. The more you do this, the more your confidence will grow!
- Positive influence – It’s important to surround yourself with positive, uplifting people because the people you surround yourself with influence who you are and what you do.
- Raising your profile – Being visible and getting noticed is a big benefit of networking. If this is something you desire, then make sure you regularly attend business and social events that will help to get your face known.
- Advice – Networking is a great way to tap into advice and expertise that you wouldn’t otherwise be able to get hold of.
- Connections – Ever heard of the saying “it’s not what you know but who you know”? Networking provides you with a great source of connections, and really opens the door to talk to highly influential people that you wouldn’t otherwise be able to easily talk to or find.
- Opportunities – With a motivated group of like-minded people comes an abundance of opportunities! There are always lots of opportunities that come from networking and in fact this is where the benefits of networking are huge – collaborations, joint ventures, client leads, partnerships, speaking and writing opportunities, and the list goes on.
- Fresh Ideas and New Information – Your network can be an excellent source of new perspectives and ideas to help you in your role. Networking is also a great opportunity to exchange best practice knowledge, learn about the techniques of your peers and stay abreast of the latest industry developments.
- Generation of referrals/increased business – In the case of business, this is probably the most obvious benefit and the reason most business owners decide to participate in networking activities and join networking groups.
Do you network? Do you think you could network more? Any other benefits to networking that you’d like to add? Got some networking ideas to share?
Ciao for now,
Linking up with Kylie Purtell for #IBOT