The heart of the home is the kitchen …
In a couple of weeks, on 29 June, my household will be thrown into a wee bit of chaos as the heart of my home (our 90’s kitchen) is ripped out and removed and a new kitchen installation begins. Plumbing and electrical will be disconnected. The new cabinetry and appliances will be installed. And so it continues …
- Five days later the template for the stone benchtops will be done.
- The next day the new cornicing around the bulkhead will be done and a couple of little areas of floor tiling.
- About six days later the stone benchtops will be installed.
- The next day the plumbing and electrical will be reconnected. Our kitchen will be functional now but not complete.
- A few days later the glass splashback template is done, and then …
- a couple of weeks later that will be installed (we’re now up to 31 July)
- The kitchen is complete but we will still have some painting to do (bulkheads, cornicing, ceiling, walls etc).
Before all this starts on 29 June, I need to pack up my kitchen, deciding what we need access to and what we won’t need access to. I will also need to set up a makeshift kitchen in my family room. I will need to work out where to store food, crockery, cutlery, glasses, mugs, etc. The laundry tub in the laundry will be where I’ll be doing ALL the washing up (no dishwasher for around 2 weeks!!).
I’ll be trying to keep meal preparation simple and will be using the microwave, slow cooker, electric frypan and barbecue for cooking meals and maybe even throw in the odd takeaway!
So, things are gonna be a bit busy around here. I’ll be:
- packing up my kitchen (it’s a BIG kitchen)
- setting up a makeshift kitchen
- chained to the laundry tub washing up by hand (no dishwasher!)
- living with dust sheets over many things to protect them from the demo phase in particular (including my computer and desk area which is very close to the kitchen)
- dealing with Ava (my dog who is likely to escape if I don’t keep a close eye on her) while we have a houseful of tradespeople traipsing in and out of the house off an on for a month
- on the floor in shock at how weird it looks when they rip out my old kitchen
- beside myself with excitement as each new element of the kitchen is installed
- painting – once the kitchen is all installed and the flow of tradespeople has finished
- and catching up on a heap of other non-blog related jobs that have built up and need to be done!
Because I will have all this additional stuff on my plate, I’ve decided to take a sort of/kind of break from the blog. What do I mean by sort of/kind of? Well:
- I’ll still publish Skin Care Saturday posts each Saturday
- I’ll pull back on posting on Thursdays. I could easily prepare posts and schedule them to publish but it will be a bit too busy and chaotic here for me to respond to comments or read and comment on Lovin Life linker’s posts, and I couldn’t have that, so I just won’t post for a bit.
- My next Thursday #LovinLife post will be on Thursday 28 June as that is when I’m due for another Taking Stock post. It will also provide an opportunity to update on how things are going around here!
- The next post after 28 June (apart from Skin Care Saturday posts) won’t be until 19 July, but from this date onwards, I’ll be back to posting regularly on a Thursday.
I’ll save all photo’s of my current kitchen for the inevitable ‘kitchen makeover’ post in the near future. I love a good before and after, don’t you?
Ciao for now,
Link up here at WOTM or with another of us in the Lovin’ Life Linky team:
Leanne of Deep Fried Fruit | Kathy of 50 Shades of Age |
Deborah of Debbish | Jo of The Hungry Writer – Joanne Tracey.
It doesn’t matter where you link up as it will magically appear on all five blogs.