I’m not very good at taking a break am I? 😂 Something happened while I was on a break that changed things. I’ll still have a good bloggy break over the Christmas/New Year period.
What happened while I was on my wee bloggy break?
So what happened? Most bloggers out there who are familiar with my blog would also be familiar with Denyse Whelan’s blog ‘Denyse’s Words & Pics‘ (I won’t link to it because it will all be gone by the time this post publishes) because I linked up a blog post to her linkup most weeks! You’d also now know that last week Denyse retired from blogging and as of 23 October her blog/website is no longer. Thankfully we can still keep in touch with Denyse as she’ll continue to be active on social media. She has also started writing at Substack (you can find her HERE) and will write there when she feels she’d like to. Denyse has been blogging since late 2010. I started blogging in September 2012 so she’s been a constant in the Aussie blogosphere for a long time and been a presence in the blogosphere for the entire time I’ve been blogging! She has been a much admired blogger, a true inspiration and friend to all, and will be missed. Whilst we’re all sad to see Denyse go, we also understand that change is inevitable in life. Our priorities, interests, and where we choose to put our energy change over time. We are humans, constantly evolving.
A new weekly link-up for bloggers!
With the departure of Denyse from the Aussie blogosphere also goes the very last weekly link up that was available to us – Wednesday Words & Pics (#WW&Pics). Her link up was every week on a Wednesday and you could link up a post on any subject. I personally like to blog once a week and enjoy having a community to connect with when I do, so I have decided to provide a new weekly link up to help bridge that gap.
I ran the idea by Denyse who was supportive no matter what I decided to do. I also consulted with some regular bloggers who would link up with Denyse’s linkup. They were positive and encouraging too, so voila – here I am with the very first of the new linkup which you might have guessed by now is called . . .
** WEDNESDAY WORDS & WHIMSY **
Why did I decide on the name of Wednesday Words & Whimsy?
Well … firstly, I wanted to keep the name of the new linkup reminiscent of Denyse’s ‘Wednesday Words & Pics‘ as kind of a nod to her dedication and commitment to the blogging community & I wanted to stick to ‘W’ words to go with Wednesday!
WEDNESDAY because we will have the linkup and connect as a community every Wednesday!
WORDS is self explanatory as all of us bloggers enjoy crafting our words and sharing them, or we wouldn’t be bloggers!
WHIMSY because gosh do I love that word. I was told my art had a whimsical look about it and did you know that whimsy means so many wonderful things like:
- playfully quaint or fanciful behaviour or humour
- unusual, funny, and pleasant ideas or qualities
- an odd or fanciful or capricious idea
… and I love authentic and interesting people with fanciful ideas and humour so whimsy just seemed perfect!
What are the rules for linkup?
It’s pretty much the same scenario as Denyse’s linkup. Here’s a wrap up below but if you ever need to see them again, I have a dedicated Wednesday Words & Whimsy page in my top menu where you can find it any time.
Here’s what you need to know:
- Anyone across the globe can join in.
- You can link up a post (old or new) on any subject BUT anything too controversial (eg political or religious etc) may be removed. We want to keep this a fun and positive place for bloggers to connect and share.
- You can link up just ONE POST from your blog per week.
- The linkup will open at 6am every Wednesday (Australian Eastern Standard Time) and close at 6am every Friday (Australian Eastern Standard Time)
- I will read and comment on all posts linked up. Note though that every second week on a Tues/Wed/Thurs I am over caring for my mother and as a result those weeks my ability to read and comment will be delayed a couple of days but all posts WILL be read and commented on.
- It’s recommended that along with reading and commenting on the hosts post (mine) that you try and read and comment on at least two other posts that are linked up. It really helps to create a happy and fun sense of community where everyone feels heard and valued. Please don’t link and run!
- Please feel free to use the above LOGO on your blog to indicate you link with the #WWWHIMSY linkup but please link it back to this page or the Write of the Middle home page.
- Finally, please support the linkup so that it will thrive and continue as a source of community for bloggers to connect and share, and ENJOY!
What’s our new linkup’s hashtag?
The first logo I made (some of you might have seen it shared on Facebook HERE) had the hashtag as #WW&WH but I soon realised that it didn’t work with the ‘&’ as part of it. So, I have revised the logo and I’m much happier with our new working and permanent hashtag which is:
Be sure to use it and share it around so more bloggers learn about the new linkup and we can more easily find any posts that are linked to it!
It’s no secret the Aussie Blogosphere has dwindled. There’s not many bloggers left, but this blogger is wanting to keep a sense of community for those of us that ARE left and I know that there are others of us that feel the same. I don’t expect huge amounts of bloggers will link up but if we get a modest amount of bloggers linking up posts each week then we should be cool to carry on. Let’s give it a good ‘ol go! I hope you will support it and enjoy it, and if you’re here to link up, WELCOME to the first inaugural #WWWHIMSY and THANK YOU!
Ciao for now,